Hey loves! Just went to see the Fantastic beasts movie after much anticipation and thought I should give you guys a review.
Now, before we get into all the details, I bet you’re wondering “was the movie good or bad?”. Well, I thought the movie was average so much so, I’m rating it a 5/10. I’ll explain why.
I’ve been watching Harry Potter since I was 9 years old and I’m a huge fan. So you can imagine how excited I got when I heard they were doing Fantastic Beast movies.
The Crimes of Grindelwald was very different from it’s predecessors. Harry Potter had a dark theme but from time to time it was funny and charming which sort of balanced the darkness a bit.
In the Crimes of Grindelwald however, there were no light/funny moments. It was dark and serious from the first scene to the last.
Like I usually do let me give you guys a breakdown of what I liked and didn’t like about the movie.
What I liked about the movie
- I liked the first scene of the movie. Obviously Grindelwald escaped prison. But the way he did it was really cool. At least one thing that hasn’t changed about the Harry Potter franchise is that the graphics of the are still good.
- I loved seeing young Dumbledore and the famous Nicholas Flamel. Honestly, Jude Law as Dumbledore was the best casting ever. Kudos to whoever did that. I thought it was a great match.
- We got to see the French Ministry of Magic. I was so shook. I was like ‘wait, there are more ministries of magic??’😂. Hopefully one day we’ll see a Nigerian Ministry of Magic. That would be lit.
- I also liked that we got to learn more about the wizarding world. Which made it more 3 dimensional.
- Also you guys, I really liked that we’re getting to see the origin of Nagini, who later went on to become Voldemort’s snake.
What I didn’t like about the movie
- One of my biggest pet peeves about this movie is how difficult it was to understand if you haven’t read or watched Harry Potter before! It was even difficult for me to understand! I still had to do some serious research after just to understand what was happening.
- I didn’t like how dark the movie was. It was too serious. I preferred the first installment which had a more chill and light vibe.
- I know so many Harry Potter fans are going to come for me but I don’t see Grindelwald as a serious villain. I’m sorry but compared to Voldemort he’s a learner, an apprentice, a fresher. Lol. Voldemort was a better villain. End of story.
- I think Johnny Depp as Grindelwald isn’t a good match. In the first installment when Collin Farrell was Grindelwald I could feel the evil. He felt more dangerous but something about Depp’s performance as Grindelwald just doesn’t do it for me. And I love Johnny Depp, but hey, a girl’s gotta be truthful.
- Again, the ending was so confusing. The movie was basically about Credence finding out who his parents were and in the end Grindelwald revealed to him that he was Dumbledore’s brother. How????
Was it worth the watch?
As a Harry Potter fan I say yeah. It was educational. Lol. It felt like I was watching something from history. But if you’re not a Harry Potter fan or you’ve never watched it before, don’t bother. You’re just gonna spend 2 hours in the cinema watching something you’ll never understand.
I heard that the Fantastic Beast Franchise is going to be 5 movies total. I hope they do better on the remaining 3 because the Crimes of Grindelwald was a bummer so far as I’m concerned.